Every Single Dude and “Dude-ett” Should Read This!!!
2. Are you in a cycle of sexual sin? This is the #1 fastest way to ruin a God-honoring, Christ-centered relationship. When a couple begins messing around sexually, common sense goes out the window and lustful desire takes over. It is very difficult to salvage a dating relationship once a cycle of sexual sin (and justifying that sin) kicks in.
3. Is there constant drama, a daily crisis, and frequent late-night intense conversations? Healthy relationships don’t require 6 hour long marathon cry-fests twice a week or regular arguments and conversations that last til the wee hours of the morning, unless you are in middle school.
4. Is there spiritual inequality? It is never a good idea for a Christian and an unbeliever to pursue a romantic relationship. It is equally foolish to date someone who is in a completely different place in their walk with Christ. Avoid becoming the counselor or discipler of the person you are dating. Also avoid “missionary dating” where you fall in love first and then try to lead them to Christ.
5. Is there complete honesty about your maturity? How do you (or they) handle conflict? Money? How much time do you spend online, playing video games, entertaining yourself? Is there an overall lack of long-term commitment in their life? Do they act like a child or an adult in social settings or when they don’t get their way?
6. Is there involvement and accountability from older believers? See #1 above. We try to do relationships alone and we suffer when we don’t involve our parents, our elders, our pastors and our trusted friends by asking for their prayer and discernment.